From: ldm-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Gerry Creager
Sent: Wed 11/10/2010 9:28 AM
To: Tyler Allison
Cc: LDM Users
Subject: Re: [ldm-users] high memory

I've been using NFS successfully for years... YMMV. We saw degrading
performance with NFS until migrating to NFS3 with TCP connections. Then,
we saw some improvement with NFS4 but recent problems therein have sent
us back to NFS3, and right now, we are auspicious that some crippled
code has made its way into the current group of distros. A colleague
with more spare time than I has been looking into this, but has not
reported a finding yet. He HAS stopped using SuSE and gone to CentOS (a
seismic shift for him) because of this, and the latest KDE decisions in
SuSE.

OF late, though, we've started using Gluster (parallel file system) with
rather stellar results for our limited LDM and web infrastructure. We
also use Gluster on a grand scale in our HPC operations. I've been most
pleased by its performance for LDM purposes.

gerry

Tyler Allison wrote:
> I refuse to use NFS. It's even worse than ext3 for IO :)
>
> -Tyler
>

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Arthur A. Person <person@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Robert,
>>
>> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Robert Mullenax wrote:
>>
>>> I personally think that most folks could benefit from spending less on
>>> tons of RAM and instead going to SAS instead of SATA systems.
>>> SATA is certainly better than old IDE, but if you have multiple feeds
>>> coming in, decoding of data, and clients getting data via NFS,
>>> then SAS is far better.
>> agreed... except it's cost-prohibitive for large arrays.
>>
>>                           Art

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager@xxxxxxxx
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983