Re: [ldm-users] high memory

Jeff,

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Jeff Lake - Admin wrote:

Art ..
-sh-3.2$ free
Mem:      12299204   12071528     227676          0     423980   10159520
-/+ buffers/cache:    1488028   10811176
Swap:      2096472        184    2096288

its the 12299204 12071528 that scares me makes it look like I have zero room left for anything else

It looks scary, but it's not. As long as you are having no performance issues, this is normally what to expect. It's the 10811176 that's important... that says there's roughly 10G of memory available for use by other programs should demand increase on the system. In that case, the size of the buffers and I/O cache (the 423980 10159520) would automatically reduce to create some actual free memory for the additional demands on the system. At the same time, you would see the second line in the free column (10811176) become smaller. Have you observed any performance issues (e.g. disk thrashing) or is it just the memory usage that caught your eye?

                                Art

-Jeff

Caching the data going to disk actually improves performance because I/O can be scheduled in larger chunks and be ordered more efficiently to disk. Also, the cached data is immediately available for processes to use without going back to the disk to get it. Linux uses most of the memory it doesn't need for other running processes to cache its disk I/O so you'll rarely see free memory available on a busy system. The amount of cache being used can be seen using "free", e.g.:

$ free
Mem:       8182268    8135656      46612          0       6888    6748420
-/+ buffers/cache:    1380348    6801920
Swap:      8385920     140580    8245340

The important number to look at is the second line of the "free" column... this is the actual free memory plus memory being used by buffers/cache (46612+6888+6748420=6801920), most of which could be made available if needed by the system to stuff more processes into the system. So, you could consider this to be effectively free memory... what does your system show for the second line of the free column?

                              Art

Gilbert,
what does BillyBob know about a real operating system ;}

system loads are below or just flirting with 1, only time the loads bounce over 1 is when scour runs

-Jeff