Re: [ldm-users] high memory

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Frank Colby wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I laughed out loud when I read Gerry's last post. But really, some of us, maybe a fair number of us, aren't IT professionals, and while this group of postings about file systems has been pretty technical, it's of real benefit to me, since I haven't really worried about the kind of file system I use. We don't stress our LDM system too much, get a minimal amount of radar data, for instance, but I have noticed that when some of our many systems go down, fsck can take forever to finish its job. I do appreciate the information on alternatives, and hope I'm not in the minority!

Thanks,

Frank Colby
UMass Lowell
part time IT person, full time professor!

Ditto. I had been using EXT2 for years, but was frustrated at how many times the file system would corrupt. In a few cases, I would have to reformat and start all over, restoring from backup. With EXT3, it rarely corrupts, and when it does, a reboot and 60 seconds of journal restoring automagically fixes everything.

Sure, I don't like the occasional fsck for one hour every now and then, but it sure beats what I had before by a million miles in terms of stability. That said, ext4 looks very promising and faster if stable, and CentOS6 may be a good time for me to switch over and try it out.

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: