Re: [ldm-users] LDM, McIDAS and more under Centos 5.2 or something else?

  • To: George Liu <George.Liu@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ldm-users] LDM, McIDAS and more under Centos 5.2 or something else?
  • From: Dan Vietor <devo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:02:20 -0500
On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 08:04 -0600, George Liu wrote:

> We plan to migrate ldm. McIDAS, and nawips decoders to RHEL 5 with
> x86_64  kernels?  Does anyone experience any problems of those
> applications  on the platforms? Thanks,

I'm just now starting to do work in 64 bit space.   I've found that most
programs that are compiled for 32 bits will run without modification on
64 bit systems.   The problem I've found is that there are some issues
with backward compatibility of some of the older shared libraries.   For
example, WXP compiled for 32 bit RHEL3 would not run on 64 bit RHEL5
because of missing 32 bit shared libraries.  The 32 bit compile for
RHEL5 worked without a problem.   I'm researching this backward
compatibility issue now that I have a 64 bit platform to work with.
Also, problems arise when you recompile the code for 64 bits.  The
biggest issue is long int goes from 32 bit to 64 bit and this throws
some programs off especially when reading data into data structures.
I'm still doing a lot of testing to make sure my programs work when
compiled for 64 bits.  Luckily I haven't found anything that breaks but
there is a lot of lesser used code still to test.

I went out this weekend and bought an HP Dual Core E5200 system with 4GB
memory and 500GB of disk for $519.  I have put CentOS 5.2 on it
(immediate issue with network card and audio card support) and I got it
to work.  I figured I'd have to spend $1000 to get that kind of system.
But now I'm working out my 64 bit angst!

Daniel Vietor
Mail: devo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unisys Corp
Title: Engineer/Meteorologist