Re: [ldm-users] LDM, McIDAS and more under Centos 5.2 or something else?

Jeffrey Lake - Admin wrote:
I have been meaning to pipe in on this and kept getting sidetracked..
all my LDM/GEMPAK machines are CentOS 5+,
2 of them being 64bit ..
have had zero problems with either of them ..

Ditto on both counts. I have used Fedora, but between the occasional bleeding edge wierdnesses (no offense to Gilbert :) and the rapid update/limited time support cycle, it got to be too hard to maintain on servers.

I have been using CentOS 3/4/5, both 32 and 64 bit for almost all of my linux installs, and in fact have even been converting some RHEL boxes over to CentOS without any problems - mainly because I like yum better as an update tool than RedHat's update manager.

It's not recommended to upgrade from the major versions (from 3.x to 4.x or 4.x to 5.x for example) but within the major versions, they try very hard to keep it stable and to keep things within the same glibc, library versions, etc. That's why the versioning is sometimes behind the current (firefox for example) but it does tend to prevent programs from breaking on machines where you need reliablility. I've gone incrementally from 4.0 or so up to the current 4.9 on some machines with zero issues.

Gilbert, if you run into any problems or need advice, feel free to ask me, I'm very familiar with CentOS.

Pete

Jeff