Re: [ldm-users] LDM, McIDAS and more under Centos 5.2 or something else?

At the last non-acedemic job I had (a large financial services concern), we
went from some 1000 or so Sun systems of every stripe (even had a U2 in
service!) to 2500 or so x86 systems running (at the time) RHAS 2.1.

Redhat has quirks, probably more c.2004 than now, but otherwise, there were no
show stoppers.  Still aren't.  Being a Solaris guy and former Sun employee, I
was unhappy, but ...  it worked as advertised.  OpenSolaris was not an option
back then and they (Sun) were still coming out of their confusion about the x86
platform, whiched doomed them to obscurity in that shop.  What's their stock at
now?  $4?  *After* the 1:4 reverse split?  Yeesh.

Note that I'm only referring to RHEL (RHAS) and not Fedora.  I have no
experience with that.

CentOS is, as I understand it, simply RHEL with all the Redhat trademarks
removed.  Perfectly acceptable under the GPL, if a lot of work.  We have some
sort of Redhat entitlement here, so our LDM ingest servers are running RHEL
5.2, but I can see that changing (we don't seem to get much with our
entitlement!).

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws@xxxxxx