Re: [idvusers] Creating ISL script / xidv bundle which generates images in "full screen" view

  • To: Evan Lowery <elowery@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [idvusers] Creating ISL script / xidv bundle which generates images in "full screen" view
  • From: Jeff McWhirter <jeffmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:45:04 -0600

Absolutely.  If we could set the LL / UR corners of the bounding box, that
would help out a great deal.  For example, I am trying to duplicate images
created by the following GEMPAK GDPLOT3 settings:
PROJ=str/90;-96;0       (Stereographic, Tangent Lat (90), Tangent Lon (-96)
- good to go)
GAREA=14.1;-120.2;47.2;-40 (bounding box - not good to go, impossible to
manually move the box to these exact settings)
DEVICE=gif | test.gif | 960 ; 720 -- good to go via the width/height
commands you suggested

OK. This will motivate us to redo the Projection editor (which we have been talking about doing for years) and we'll add in a way to exactly set the bounding box.

I just downloaded the latest nightly build and see the new viewpoint
settings.  The "scale" feature I believe will be incredibly handy because
before the only way to zoom in/out was to manually set the zoom in the gui
(which are large steps each time you zoom in or out).

Not necessarily on the ISL side, but if there was a function in the gui that
told you the current width/height of the screen as well as the center point
that would be very helpful.  Nevermind on the center point, as I'm writing
this I saw the "Range and Bearing" function which gives you the center point
(awesome!).

One thing I forgot to mention. If you bring up the Properties dialog for the view (View->Properties) and go to the Aspect Ratio tab we show the values of the current display matrix, e.g., translate, scale and rotate. We will also add in the screen coordinates as well.

The width/height attributes are exactly what I was looking for.  A similar
setting in the GUI would be very helpful.  We can obviously set the full
screen mode, but it might be good to also be able to set the size of the
display window when not in full screen mode.  This is probably overkill.

Come to think of it. If you have the full screen size set for the view then we end up using that in the ISL off screen mode. In general it is hard to set a fixed size for the view when shown in a GUI.

-Jeff