Re: [gembud] Gempak to web question

Justin,
A few comments/suggestions below:

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 9:10 AM Perry, Justin B <
Justin_Perry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I’m new to the community and have only been using GEMPAK for about a year
> so my understanding of these concepts that I’m about to ask about, I admit,
> is pretty limited. So forgive me for a couple of rookie questions!
>

> I’ve done a fair amount of investigation into developing/running GEMPAK
> scripts and I feel comfortable with that.  However, I am not sure what the
> best way to get GEMPAK images to automatically be created and then uploaded
> to my website would be
>

> My understanding is that the process could go like this
>

>    1. Set up the image that I want to be created by a script which runs
>    automatically via cronjob
>    2. Save the image on my computer
>    3. Have my computer upload that to my server via SCP…automatically via
>    cronjob as well
>

> Does this sound reasonable or is there some time of “best practice”
> approach that would suite me better?

There are many ways to do this and maybe some are more elegant than others,
but what you have described "should" work.  One simplification would be to
have the same job that creates the images also SCP to your webserver.

> The other question that I have…
>

> I’m not too familiar with changing LDM pattern action to have nexrad
> images automatically created like you see in these examples:
>
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/nexrcomp/
>
> and at the top of this page:
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/examples/
>

> Any advice on how I can make those things happen on my website as well?
> Or even just on my computer so that I can upload in a similar fashion to
> the steps that I described above?

The automation straight out of LDM/pqact is more complicated.  For
simplicity, I would focus on a script that finds the latest nexrad files,
plots images, and SCPs to web.  You could execute your script often, say
every 5 minutes to add the latest image.
There are a variety of example online for gempak scripting: Google: "gempak
script examples"

Hope that helps. good luck,

-Mike