[gembud] 20180112: getting GOES-16 imagery into GEMPAK

Hi Phil, Rodrigo, and fellow gembudians,

On 01/12/2018 07:38 AM, Phil Birnie wrote:
Thanks for all of the feedback, all. - same Tom, would be interested but we understand that this is a big undertaking.  Same as Rodrigo — for us, just the ability to produce VIS, IR and WV imagery would be fine as we disseminate a few products to the general public and for internal instructional purposes.

This past Monday, January 8, I replaced the GOES-13 image content in
Unidata-Wisconsin (IDD feed type UNIWISC aka MCIDAS) GOES-East sectors
with similar bands from GOES-16.  In order to provide an impact-free
transition, I left the images labeling as being from GOES-13.  Since the
images are being created by McIDAS remapping (IMGREMP) of GOES-16 Full
Disk imagery into existing GOES-13 sectors, the navigation for the
images is still that for GVAR, not the Fixed Grid projection of GOES-16.
GEMPAK, McIDAS, IDV, McIDAS-V and presumably AWIPS users should be able to use these images with no changes to their setup (i.e., no adjustments
to GEMPAK tables, etc.).

I view the remapping of GOES-16 imagery into GVAR sectors as being a
stop gap measure designed to lessen the impact of GOES-13 being
turned off.  I want to open a full discussion with LDM/IDD
consumers of satellite imagery for what the next steps should be:
e.g., send out select bands from the GOES-16 SCMI imagery that
is being distributed in NOAAPort; create image sectors that match
the spatial extents for the GOES-13 imagery that was sent in NOAAPort
in GINI format, etc.

Some questions to be answered before we proceed with the creation of
new image content using GOES-16 data are:

- does GEMPAK support the Fixed Grid projection used in all GOES-16
  GRB images?

  I _think_ the answer to this is no, Fixed Grid is not supported in
  GEMPAK, but I am not sure.  If it is not, new image sectors can
  be remapped into a projection that GEMPAK supports.

- which bands would GEMPAK users like to see in the new content?

  Recall that GVAR GOES platforms have 5 imager channels (bands),
  while GOES-R has 16 ABI channels.

- do GEMPAK users need to be able to extract valid calibrations
  from the imagery (e.g., TEMPerature for IR bands and Albedo/
  reflectance from VISible bands)?

  If yes, this may mean that non-GOES-16 calibration information
  will need to be added to the new image sectors.

- what LDM/IDD datastream should these image sectors be sent in?

Comment(s):

- creation of image sectors that are usable by GEMPAK is not
  a daunting task ** as long as the output format for the
  new sectors is McIDAS AREA **

  Creation of new sectors in GINI format would require new program
  development while creation in AREA format simply requires the
  creation of scripts that run appropriate McIDAS commands.

Your input is important.  Please let us know what option would be
best for your operations!