[UDUNITS #HAN-352788]: udunits2 API

Henry,

> many thanks for your explanations. I understand the need for
> encapsulation and abstraction, but wouldn't at least make some sense to
> make the udunits type public ?  After all this change wouldn't break the
> existing interface.

I have to disagree.  Publishing the types that underlie the unit abstraction
would commit me to forever supporting those types.  Such as step should only be
taken if it accomplishes something that can't be obtained by another means.  In
the case of timestamp units, testing conversion with a known timestamp unit is
the other means.

Ticket ID: HAN-352788
Department: Support UDUNITS