[UDUNITS #OKW-899269]: problem when installing UDUNITS on UBUNTU

Michel,

> Once again, thank you so much for the email!
> I was able to install udunits. However, when I try to run it, I get the
> following message:
>
> udunits(3): Couldn't open units database
> "/home/mesquita/udunits/udunits-1.12.4/etc/udunits.dat": No such file or
> directory
> udunits: Couldn't initialize udunits(3) package

Does the file "/home/mesquita/udunits/udunits-1.12.4/etc/udunits.dat"
exist?  Is it readable?

If the file doesn't exist, then please send me the file "install.log"
that was created during installation.

> Somehow, udunits is not being installed inside /usr/local as it should.
> Even if I tell it to do so:
>
> CPPFLAGS='-Df2cFortran -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500' CFLAGS='-g -O2 -lm' PERL=''
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
> Why is that? I have tried that in 2 different computers and I still have
> the same problem.

It is unlikely that you will have the necessary write access to the
/usr/local directory unless you execute the "make install" command
as the superuser (i.e., "root").

> One of the solutions to this was to create a symbolic link insde
> udunits-1.12.4: ln -s /usr/local/etc etc
> However, that is not practical, because if I want to delete the udunits
> directory someday, udunits will not work anymore.
>
> I thank you in advance!
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> Michel Mesquita
> --