[UDUNITS #GYX-412442]: Installing UDUNITS

Michael,

> uname -a
> Linux master 2.6.11.7-suse92-osmp #9 SMP Tue Apr 12 14:19:08 EDT 2005 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Free would certainly be an alternative. Problem is for years I dealt with
> Portland compilers and any software I wanted had Makefiles specifically
> designed for that compiler so...I guess I never had to do any work and truly
> learn the compiling options. Now I find myself a bit lost.

I'm told that the freely-available "GCC 4" package from GNU can be built and
installed with support for compiling Fortran-90 code.  The relevant compiler
in that package is "gfortran".  The package is available at

    http://gcc.gnu.org/

If you install and use this package, then you should define the C macro
"f2cFortran"
when building the UDUNITS package.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson