20050420: Errors building UDUNITS

Keith,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Keith Edmunds <address@hidden>
> Subject: Errors building UDUNITS

> I'm getting errors trying to build UDUNITS, and I'd appreciate any pointers
> you may be able to offer. I've included the details requested in the README
> below.
>
> Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
>
> Regards,
> Keith Edmunds
>
>     1.  The standard output of the command "uname -a".
>
> # uname -a
> Linux red 2.4.28 #3 Sat Mar 12 11:27:26 GMT 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
>

>     2.  The standard and error output of the configure script.
[snip]

>     3.  The file "config.log".
>
> Attached.
>
>     4.  The standard and error output of the "make" command.
[snip]
> making `all' in directory /usr/local/src/udunits-1.12.4/src/lib
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/udunits-1.12.4/src/lib'
> c89 -c -g -O2 -I../port/misc -I../port/cfortran
> -DUT_DEFAULT_PATH='"/usr/local/src/udunits-1.12.4/etc/udunits.dat"'
> utlib.c In file included from utlib.c:29:
> ../port/cfortran/cfortran.h:132:3: #error "cfortran.h:  Can't find your
> environment among:    - MIPS cc and f77 2.0. (e.g. Silicon Graphics,
> DECstations, ...)         - IBM AIX XL C and FORTRAN Compiler/6000 Version
> 01.01.0000.0000         - VAX   VMS CC 3.1 and FORTRAN 5.4.
>                      - Alpha VMS DEC C 1.3 and DEC FORTRAN 6.0.
>                   - Alpha OSF DEC C and DEC Fortran for OSF/1 AXP Version
> 1.2              - Apollo DomainOS 10.2 (sys5.3) with f77 10.7 and cc 6.7.
>               - CRAY
>            - NEC SX-4 SUPER-UX
>         - CONVEX
>      - Sun
>   - PowerStation Fortran with Visual C++
> - HP9000s300/s700/s800 Latest test with: HP-UX A.08.07 A 9000/730        -
> LynxOS: cc or gcc with f2c.                                            -
> VAXUltrix: vcc,cc or gcc with f2c. gcc or cc with f77.                 -
>         f77 with vcc works; but missing link magic for f77 I/O.     -
>      NO fort. None of gcc, cc or vcc generate required names.    - f2c    :
> Use #define    f2cFortran, or cc -Df2cFortran                 - NAG f90:
> Use #define NAGf90Fortran, or cc -DNAGf90Fortran              - Absoft UNIX
> F77: Use #define AbsoftUNIXFortran or cc -DAbsoftUNIXFortran     - Absoft
> Pro Fortran: Use #define AbsoftProFortran     - Portland Group Fortran: Use
> #define pgiFortran" make[1]: *** [utlib.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/udunits-1.12.4/src/lib'
> make: *** [lib/all] Error 1

In order to build the Fortran interface to the UDUNITS library, the C
compiler needs to know what calling conventions will be used by the
Fortran compiler.  It is told this by defining a certain C macro.  For
your system, the macro is "f2cFortran".

Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source-directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5, described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

    3.  Ensure that the environment variable CPPFLAGS contains the
        string "-Df2cFortran", e.g.,

            export CPPFLAGS="-Df2cFortran"

        or

            setenv CPPFLAGS "-Df2cFortran"

        depending on your user-shell.

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9, described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

Please let me know if this helps.

> Keith Edmunds
> Aviation Briefing Ltd