20041015: Bug in ut_calendar?

Mary,

> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:01:23 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Mary Haley <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden
> Subject: Bug in ut_calendar?

> I think we have discovered a bug in utCalendar that surfaces on
> Solaris and AIX, but not RedHat Linux. I've attached a small C program
> that illustrates the problem.  Basically, with a units of "months
> since 1870-1-1", you'd expect a time of 0 to return:
>
>     year  = 1870
>     month = 1
>     day   = 1
>     hour  = 0
>     second= 0
>
> But instead we're getting:
>
>     year  = 1869
>     month = 12
>     day   = 31
>     hour  = 23
>     second= 59

I suspect that your program would actually print "second= 60".  It did
on my system.

> The program works if you replace "1870" with either "1869" or "1871".
> I verified  that this problem exists in the latest version of
> Udunits (1.12.2).
>
> Thanks for your time,

Thanks for reporting this.

The problem is one of formatting a time-unit; conversion between
different time-units should work correctly.

I've created a new release (1.12.3) that doesn't have this problem.  You
can obtain it at

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/udunits/udunits-1.12.3.tar.Z