20040527: UDUNITS build on

Thorsten,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Fehr, Thorsten" <address@hidden>
> Subject: udunits

> in order to install the ZEBRA software package for the visualisation of
> meteorological fields I have to install "udunits".
>
> Unfortunately, even after quite some fiddling around with the code i did
> not succeed in installing it.
>
> Unfortunately I am not wee experienced with C so I did not find the
> reason why "cfortran" did not compile.

The problem isn't "cfortran"; it's your compilation environment.  See
below.

> I would be very thankful if you could support me :)
>
> The requested information from the INSTALL-file is attached to the e-mail.

According to your "make.log" file:

> making `all' in directory /usr/local/share/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/share/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib'
> ln -s ../port/misc/udalloc.c .
> ln -s ../port/misc/udalloc.h .
> c89 -c -O -I../port/misc -I../port/cfortran
> -DUT_DEFAULT_PATH=3D'"/usr/local/share/udunits-1.11.7/etc/udunits.dat"'
> utlib.c
> In file included from /usr/include/_G_config.h:44,
>                  from /usr/include/libio.h:32,
>                  from /usr/include/stdio.h:65,
>                  from utlib.c:18:
> /usr/include/gconv.h:72: parse error before "size_t"
> /usr/include/gconv.h:85: parse error before "size_t"
> /usr/include/gconv.h:94: parse error before "size_t"
> /usr/include/gconv.h:170: parse error before "size_t"
> /usr/include/gconv.h:173: parse error before '}' token
> /usr/include/gconv.h:173: ISO C forbids data definition with no type or s
> make[1]: *** [utlib.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/share/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib'
> make: *** [lib/all] Error 1

the system header-file "/usr/include/gconv.h" could not be compiled.
Because a compiler should always be able to compile its own
header-files, this indicates a problem with your compilation
environment.  It could be that the compiler is incorrectly installed.

I suggest that you show the above to your system administrator.

When the compilation environment is fixed, you will need to build the
UDUNITS package from the beginning because a C macro that specifies what
Fortran calling-conventions will be used was not specified.  The C macro
to be defined depends on your operating system and your choice of
Fortran compiler.  There are many examples in the file INSTALL in the
top-level source-directory.  If you will not call the UDUNITS package
from Fortran, then you can use any of the C macros (e.g.,
"f2cFortran").  Whatever C macro you choose, it must be specified in the
CPPFLAGS environment variable before executing the "configure" script,
e.g.,

    $ CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran ./configure >configure.log 2>&1

Please let me know if this helps.

> Cheers,
>
> Thorsten
>
> PS. In case you are familiar with ZEBRA, maybe you know of a more
> up-to-date alternative.
> --
> Thorsten Fehr
> DLR - Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere
>        Institute of Atmospheric Physics
> Oberpfaffenhofen   Tel.:  +49 8153 28-2587
> D-82234 Wessling   Fax.:  +49 8153 28-1841
> Germany          mailto:address@hidden
>                     http://www.op.dlr.de/~pa10

Regards,
Steve Emmerson