20021202: UDUNITS 1.11.7 installation: conftest: Permission denied

David,

> To: address@hidden
> From: David Price <address@hidden>
> Subject: Installation of udunits 1.11.7

> I am trying to install udunits and ncview on my newly installed SuSE
> 8.1 system. I have managed to install earlier versions successfully
> but this time I seem to have hit a roadblock.
>
> Logging in as root, and running from the src directory, entering the command:
> "sh configure" runs ok until I get the following error message:
>
> creating port/misc/search.h
> expanding `include's in file `Makefile'
> ./config.status: line 335:
> /data1/downloads/ncview/udunits-1.11.7/src/conftest: Permission denied
> geminiani:/data1/downloads/ncview/udunits-1.11.7/src # ls -l conftest
> -rwxr-----    1 root     root        11949 2002-11-28 08:39 conftest
> geminiani:/data1/downloads/ncview/udunits-1.11.7/src #

It appears that the script config.status can't execute a file that it
creates.  This looks like a problem with your environment.

What is line 335 in file config.status?

What are the protections on directory
/data1/downloads/ncview/udunits-1.11.7/src and who are the owner and
group?

> I have tried changing the permission on conftest for group to rwx but that
> makes no difference (not surprising really).
>
> Standard output from uname -a is:
>
> geminiani:/data1/downloads/ncview/udunits-1.11.7/src # uname -a
> Linux geminiani 2.4.19-4GB #1 Fri Sep 13 13:14:56 UTC 2002 i686 unknown
>
> Location of cc is:
>
> geminiani:/data1/downloads/ncview/udunits-1.11.7/src # which cc
> /usr/bin/cc
>
> Files VERSION and config.log are attached. I could not find a file called
> "configure.log" in any of the directories from udunits-1.11.7 down.

The file configure.log is created by you to hold both the standard output
and standard error of the configure script. For example

    $ ./configure >configure.log 2>&1