20020725: UDUNITS installation: DEC Alpha/OSF1

Yukiko,

>Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:00:24 +0900
>From: =?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCSiFFRCEhTSc1KjtSGyhK?= <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: 20020724: UDUNITS installation: DEC Alpha/OSF1

> I tried below comand but I don't have a right to execute.
> Then I sent you the file 'typemap.log' ,
> which written both standard output and standard error ,
> when I executed.

> /usr/local/bin/perl5 -I/usr/lib/perl-5.6.0/lib/5.6.0/alpha-dec_osf
> -I/usr/lib/perl-5.6.0/lib/5.6.0
> /usr/lib/perl-5.6.0/lib/5.6.0/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -typemap
> /usr/lib/perl-5.6.0/lib/5.6.0/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap typemap UDUNITS.xs >
> UDUNITS.xsc && mv UDUNITS.xsc UDUNITS.c
> syntax error at /usr/lib/perl-5.6.0/lib/5.6.0/warnings.pm line 246, near
> "{^"
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl-5.6.0/lib/5.6.0/Cwd.pm
> line 342.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/lib/perl-5.6.0/lib/5.6.0/ExtUtils/xsubpp line 102.
> *** Exit 2
> Stop.
> *** Exit 1
> Stop.

The above seems to show a problem with your perl installation.  You need
a good perl installation in order to install the UDUNITS perl module.  I
suggest that you show the above messages to your system administrator or
someone who knows about perl.

> And, if  I don't need Perl extension module,
> I would like to get how to do.

To build and install the UDUNITS package without the perl module, do the
following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 described near the end of the file
    INSTALL.

    3.  Set the environment variable PERL to the empty string, e.g.

            export PERL=

        or

            setenv PERL ''

        depending on your user shell.

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 described near the end of the file
    INSTALL.

Please let me know if this helps.