20020328: building perl module on SunOS 5.6

Dr. J. Venkata Ratnam,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Dr. J. Venkata Ratnam" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Help required for installing unidata ...

> Hi
>
>  I am having problem installing unidata software on Sun UltraSparc. I am
> attaching the files "uname, config.standard, config.log, make.log" along
> with this mail. I require your help in installing the software.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ratnam

It appears that, perhaps, the C compiler that was used to build your perl
utility differs from the "cc" compiler that you're using to build the
UDUNITS perl module.  In general, the same compiler should be used for both.
You can check the compiler used to build perl by the "-V" option:

    $ perl -V

You can check the "cc" compiler by using the "which" or "type" utility:

    $ which cc

or
    $ type cc

You can cause the perl module to not be built by setting the PERL
environment variable to the empty string before executing the configure
script, e.g.

    $ make distclean
    $ PERL= ./configure >configure.log 2>&1
    $ make >make.log 2>&1

If you want the perl module, then you should try to use the same C
compiler as was used to build perl, e.g.

    $ make distclean
    $ CC=... ./configure >configure.log 2>&1
    $ make >make.log 2>&1

In general, you should specify absolute pathnames for the C compiler.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,