Re: 19991004: compiling of UDUNITS

Steve Emmerson writes:
 > Brian,
 >
 > > To: address@hidden
 > > From: Brian Blanton <address@hidden>
 > > Subject: compiling of UDUNITS
 >
 > In the above message, you wrote:
 >
 > > I am trying to compile udunits on a Linux (2.2.5) machine with
 > > AbsoftProFortran.  I set CC=gcc, CFLAGS=-DAbsoftProFortran,
 > > and FC=f77, do "configure", then "make", and get the following error
 > > message:

 > > make[1]: Entering directory `/root/UNIDATA/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib'
 > > ln -s ../port/misc/udalloc.c .
 > > ln -s ../port/misc/udalloc.h .
 > > gcc -ansi -c -DAbsoftProFortran -I../port/misc -I../port/cfortran
 > > -DUT_DEFAULT_PATH='"/usr/local/etc/udunits.dat"'  utlib.c
 > > utlib.c:1882: parse error before `0'
 > > make[1]: *** [utlib.o] Error 1
 > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/UNIDATA/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib'
 > > make: *** [lib/all] Error 1
 > >
 > > I have also tried "#define AbsoftProFortran", but I'm not really
 > > sure where to put it.
 > >
 > > Unfortunately, we need this library to be compatable with Absoft.
 > >
 > > Have you seen this before?
 > >
 > > Thanks,
 > >
 > > Brian O. Blanton
 > > Department of Marine Sciences
 > > Ocean Processes Numerical Modeling Lab
 > > University of North Carolina @ Chapel Hill
 > > tel #: 919 962 0022
 > > email: address@hidden
 > > http://www.opnml.unc.edu
 >
 > It looks like you did the right thing.
 >
 > I haven't seen this problem before -- but it looks tractable.
 >
 > I'll need to see the output from the C preprocessor.  Would you please
 > do the following:
 >
 >     1.  Go into the subdirectory "lib/".
 >
 >     2.  Execute the command "make utlib.i".
 >
 >     3.  Send me the function "utMake" (or "UTMAKE") from the file
 >      "utlib.i".
 >
 > You guys recovered from Floyd yet?
 >
 > --------
 > Steve Emmerson   <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu>

Thanks for the quick response.  We (here in Chapel Hill) were
relatively unaffected by the hurricane. But east of here is still
a huge mess.

Here's the diagnostic as per above.

After hitting return  on "make utlib, I get the following:
gcc -E -I../port/misc -I../port/cfortran -DUT_DEFAULT_PATH='"/root/udunits-1.11.
7/etc/udunits.dat"'  utlib.c > utlib.i
In file included from utlib.c:29:
../port/cfortran/cfortran.h:153: #error "cfortran.h:  Can't find your environmen
t among:\
    - MIPS cc and f77 2.0. (e.g. Silicon Graphics, DECstations, ...)     \
    - IBM AIX XL C and FORTRAN Compiler/6000 Version 01.01.0000.0000     \
    - VAX   VMS CC 3.1 and FORTRAN 5.4.                                  \
    - Alpha VMS DEC C 1.3 and DEC FORTRAN 6.0.                           \
    - Alpha OSF DEC C and DEC Fortran for OSF/1 AXP Version 1.2          \
    - Apollo DomainOS 10.2 (sys5.3) with f77 10.7 and cc 6.7.            \
    - CRAY                                                               \
    - NEC SX-4 SUPER-UX                                                  \
    - CONVEX                                                             \
    - Sun                                                                \
    - PowerStation Fortran with Visual C++                               \
    - HP9000s300/s700/s800 Latest test with: HP-UX A.08.07 A 9000/730    \
    - LynxOS: cc or gcc with f2c.                                        \
    - VAXUltrix: vcc,cc or gcc with f2c. gcc or cc with f77.             \
    -            f77 with vcc works; but missing link magic for f77 I/O. \
    -            NO fort. None of gcc, cc or vcc generate required names.\
    - f2c    : Use #define    f2cFortran, or cc -Df2cFortran             \
    - NAG f90: Use #define NAGf90Fortran, or cc -DNAGf90Fortran          \
    - Absoft UNIX F77: Use #define AbsoftUNIXFortran or cc -DAbsoftUNIXFortran \
    - Absoft Pro Fortran: Use #define AbsoftProFortran \
    - Portland Group Fortran: Use #define pgiFortran"

This is what I thought I was fixing by using -DAbsoftProFortran.  But
the above error message says I should be doing #define
AbsoftProFortran, but I don't know where to put it.

As for utlib.i,  the only place utmake occurs is as follows:

extern     utUnit*      utmake        (void   ) {               utUnit*
A0            ;                A0 =                       utNew ();
                            return A0;     }

This file (utlib.i) appears wierd in emacs, so I hope I got the
part you need.  If not, I'll send you the entire file.

Thanks,
Brian