Re: 19990624: Udunits installation under AIX 4.3

Mike,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I am trying to set up GEMPAK on our site as follows:
>
> (1) I have downloaded Udunits, LDM and GEMPAK distributions to our
> programming disk and uncompressed and detarred the files into the
> following directories ...
>
>     /prog/gempak/udunits-1.11.7
>     /prog/gempak/ldm-5.0.6
>     /prog/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4
>
> (2) I tried to install udunits first of all, but I ran into problems at
> the "make" stage.
>
> I have attached the items 'A' through 'F' as per your "problems"
> instructions and hope that you can help diagnose the problem.
>
> I am installing (trying to) these packages on an IBM RS6000  under AIX 4.3.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Mike

> Mike Mikitiuk                            e-mail:       address@hidden
>
> Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel Laboratory    Tel: 1 519 661-3338  Ext: 8141
> Faculty of Engineering Science           Fax: 1 519 661-3339
> The University of Western Ontario        Web:   http://www.blwtl.uwo.ca
> London, Ontario, Canada    N6A 5B9       43* 00' 14" N    81* 16' 27" W

> making `all' in directory /prog/gempak/udunits-1.11.7/src/udunits
>
>       c89 -c -O -I../lib -I../port/misc  -D_ALL_SOURCE -Dextname udunits.c
> c89 -o udunits -O udunits.o -L/prog/gempak/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib -ludunits
> -L/prog/gempak/udunits-1.11.7/src/port/misc -ludport -ly -lm
> Target "all" is up to date.
>
> returning to directory /prog/gempak/udunits-1.11.7/src
>
>       cd perl && perl Makefile.PL
> syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 2, next 2 tokens "use ExtUtils"
> syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 6, next 2 tokens "WriteMakefile("
> Execution of Makefile.PL aborted due to compilation errors.
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 255.
> make: 1254-005 Ignored error code 255 from last command.
>
> making `dynamic' in directory /prog/gempak/udunits-1.11.7/src/perl
>
> make: 1254-002 Cannot find a rule to create target dynamic from dependencies.
> Stop.
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
>

> Stop.

It appears that you have version 4 of the Perl utility rather than
version 5.  You must have version 5 in order to build the Perl extension
module for UDUNITS (see file INSTALL for more information).

You can either install version 5 of Perl and then retry or skip building
the Perl extension module altogether.  If you decide to skip building
the extension module, then do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory of the UDUNITS package.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 in the "IF PROBLEMS OCCUR" section
        in the INSTALL file.

    3.  Set the environment variable PERL to the empty string.

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 in the "IF PROBLEMS OCCUR" section
        in the INSTALL file.

--------

P.S. Please don't use BASE64 encoding in mail attachments: my mailer
can't handle them.