[THREDDS #LSJ-656413]: Thredds Data Access Issue- Advice?

Greetings!

This dataset is pretty interesting. As Dennis said, to fix these will require
help from the thredds server administrator. Unfortunately, they don't give us
much to go off of in terms of contact info:

http://oceanus.meas.ncsu.edu:8080/thredds/serverInfo.html

(that's just the default values).

The behavior seen here is that from 2008 onwards, we only get a single time
back
(2007-12-31), until 2015. In 2015, we can pickup 2015-11-30 through 2015-12-13.
This makes me think that there is missing data on the server. The fact that the
HTTPServer download fails with a 404 tells me that this is likely an aggregation
of several files, so there is no one single file to download. If the data from
those
years were missing, we would see the behavior we currently see. But again, it's
really hard to tell without access to the server, the logs, and configuration
files.

Also, two other things jump out. First, this file follows the SGRID conventions
in
addition to CF, and that's not explicitly supported by the TDS. It *might*
work, but
I can't say for sure. Second, the version of the TDS being used is quite old at
this
point, so it's also possible this is a bug in the server code (again, would need
to know more info).

Sorry we can't be of more assistance, but we'd really need to pull in the
server admin
at this point :-( Do you have any contacts at NC State who might know who is
running
this particular server?

Cheers,

Sean

> I see. I got a file of size about 8 megabytes. But is your ncss request
> asking for the whole dataset?
> I ran our validator tool on the file and it is basically ok. So it is
> a legitimate result even if not what you expected.
>
> In any case, I went to the base catalog page
> (http://oceanus.meas.ncsu.edu:8080/thredds/catalogs/roms_hindcast.html?dataset=roms-hindcast_2007-2017)
> and tried to download the whole dataset using one of the
> other available protocols.
> Using opendap, it fails with request too big error.
> Using Httpserver, it fails on a 404 (file not found)
> To fix these will require help from the thredds server
> administrator.
>

> > It fails- it just downloads in one second and contains mostly empty
> > variables.
> > Is the size of the file that you downloaded the full 1.7GB?

Ticket ID: LSJ-656413
Department: Support THREDDS