Re: Problems with GRIB feature collections

Greetings Roy,

For the first question about the clean vs dirty lat/lon's, this turns out to be a floating point math problem. Specifically, here:

https://github.com/Unidata/thredds/blob/master/grib/src/main/java/ucar/nc2/grib/grib1/Grib1Gds.java#L394

In the case of the FNMOC NAVGEM grib records, we get the following:

code: la1 = getOctet3(11) * scale3;
math: (int) -90000 * (float) 1.0e-3 -> (float) -90.00001

I think a float *should* be ok for storing la1 and computing the lat array, but not for the initial computation of of la1. I'm pretty sure we can get this addressed (I'll open a github issue).

For the second question regarding "full" vs "best", this has to do with how the overall collection is aggregated. For the half-degree NAVGEM, you have monthly collections of grids, but none of the forecasts overlap. Therefore, the overall collection aggregation exposes all of the grids. For the one degree, it looks like the TDS thinks there was an overlap in the grids (i.e. two grids with the same valid time), and so one of the overlapped grids was "better" (i.e. closer to a runtime) and the other was dropped to make a "best" collection. However, I don't see that happening in any of the monthly collections listed, so it is probably a bug. In the xml for these two collections, can you add "TwoD" to the datasetTypes attribute of the gribConfig element? That will give us a bit more information.

Cheers,

Sean