[Support #JWA-773791]: building best estimate aggregations using ncml

> > > I think (after having discussed about it here quite long time ago..)
> >
> > where is "here" ?
> >

> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/thredds/2007/msg00234.html

i actually meant "where do you work?"

> > > Now a last question, maybe the most important .. does the way I do to
> > > achieve this is the right one and if not how could I do ?
> >

> > currently i dont think you can "cut off" the aggregation using the ncoords
> > element. perhaps you should get things working without that first? also, i
> > would use the latest 4.1 release. Its not yet stable, but has many bugs
> > fixed. If you do see a bug, we will likely only fix it on 4.1.
> >
> > We can't use the 4.0  version of thredds for the moment, we have to test it
> with our catalog generations before.
>
> We are building catalogs in different ways we named "views", these are:
> - File access (for use with service httpServer)
> - Run
> - Time serie (joining all files along the time dimension)
> - Run + time (joining all files along a created run dimension)
>
> The data we have to deal with can be split into separate files for variables
> or time steps so we have to make aggregations in consequence, using union
> for variables and joinExisting for time steps.
>
> All of that work fine, the problem is that some model outputs contain for
> example 72 time coords, we need to take only the 24 first time coords of
> each file to build the time serie aggregation in a "best estimate" way.
>
> So as in post
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/thredds/2007/msg00234.html,
> is it possible to do such selections using thredds 3.16 and ncml ?

if the data files are split out by time, then you can just aggregate the one
you want by writing custom ncml. If not, you cannot currently create a logical
dataset with just the first 24 time steps. if we do add that feature, it will
be to version 4.2 or above.

Ticket ID: JWA-773791
Department: Support THREDDS