[THREDDS #MHO-737897]: Quickie: How to specify an NcML file in a THREDDS catalog

> THREDDS Guru,
>
> > The trick is that the NcML is logically independent of the TDS Catalog, if
> > you put it in its own file you can point ToolsUI or IDV at it.
>
> What I already have are a bunch of  standalone NcML files that I can
> load into ToolsUI or IDV (or Matlab).
>
> So I can't point to these existing NcML files from the catalog, but
> have to merge the NcML contained within the files back into the
> catalog?
>
> -Rich

correct, you must embed into the catalog, otherwise the TDS thinks you want to
serve an XML file.

Now  you have a virtual dataset, which you can annotate in the catalog with
"dataFormat" or anything else. You do need a service type, which tells the TDS
how you want to serve it (HTTPServer, Opendap, etc).

I realize it would be convenient to be able to leave the ncl as a seperate
file. I will see if we can add that feature in the future.

Ticket ID: MHO-737897
Department: Support THREDDS