Annoying problem: embedded HTML in body of documentation tag

I mention this only because it is an issue that should be addressed:
personally it seems more of a pain than anything else.

Text that I use to construct the contents of the documentation tag

<documentation>
This is the text I mean
</documentation>

needed to do paper references.   These tags are technically illegal in
our xml document,    so I am supposed to change the < and > to an entity
and then it will parse.  That, however, changes the meaning of the
string, i.e. HTML no longer thinks they are tags, either.   I could take
the tags out, but then I lose meaning, albeit not a lot.

So could we allow some formatting in the documentation?   Alternatively,
can we allow meaningless tags as far as XML is concerned?

Benno