references to variables within datasets

Hello,

I continually come across the situation where I would like to reference
in a thredds file a dependent variable in the sense that dods datasets
consist of dependent variables (MAPS) and independent variables (those
1D arrays in MAPS).   This could be more general than just my problem,
e.g. an educator that wants to make up a dataset that consists of
references to variables in various datasets available on the web
(presuming that the educator's function is to create a simplified
environment for the student, i.e. focused datasets), so he/she make a
THREDDS file that has a dataset that consists of those selected
variables.

This is sort of what the Dataset Description XML is about, I guess, but
I don't see how to use it to address my problem.

Any thoughts?

Benno