[Fwd: latest Catalog XML]

Woops realized that I simply responded to John.

Peter
--
 Peter Cornillon
  Graduate School of Oceanography  - Telephone: (401) 874-6283

An interesting discussion. I wrestled a bit with this around the time
of the DODS developers meeting last January. I have attached a table
that I put together to help me keep track of the issues. I think that
you have progressed way beyond this, but thought that you might find
it interesting anyway.

Peter

--
 Peter Cornillon
  Graduate School of Oceanography  - Telephone: (401) 874-6283
   University of Rhode Island      -       FAX: (401) 874-6728
    Narragansett RI 02882  USA     -  Internet: address@hidden
Title: Oceanology International
OPeNDAP Data Objects, Collections and Sets

  • OPeNDAP Data Objects are the data retrieved by any OPeNDAP URL (constrained or unconstrained).

    • a portion of a satellite image
    • a mooring record

  • OPeNDAP Datasets (or OPeNDAP Granules) are OPeNDAP Data Objects accessed by an unconstrained URL.

    • a satellite image
    • a mooring record
    • a NetCDF file that contains all satellite images in a given projection from a specific sensor

  • OPeNDAP Data Collections are collections of OPeNDAP Datasets that are accessible either
    • as a new OPeNDAP Dataset via an OPeNDAP Aggregation Server, or
    • as a list of OPeNDAP Datasets via a File Server.

    • all satellite images in a given projection from a specific sensor
    • a collection of mooring records

    Note that the list of OPeNDAP Datasets accessed via an unconstrained request to an OPeNDAP File Server is also an OPeNDAP Dataset.

  • NVODS Datasets are all of the meteorological or oceanographic data at a site that the data provider considers to be logically connected. Could be an OPeNDAP Dataset, an OPeNDAP Data Collection or a group of OPeNDAP Datasets that are not formally linked from an OPeNDAP perspective.

    • all satellite images in a given projection from a specific sensor for which neither an OPeNDAP File Server nor an OPeNDAP Aggregation Server exist
    • a NetCDF file that contains all satellite images in a given projection

--- End Message ---