  • To: John Caron <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: orthogonality (was Re: New attempt)
  • From: Benno Blumenthal <address@hidden>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 16:09:39 -0400
Hi John,

access and entry are not peer elements:  access is subordinate to entry.

The point we wanted to make is that an entry exists whether or not it can be accessed, and there can be a number of different accesses for an given entry.    If that number is zero, you call it a collection, if that number is greater than zero, you call it a dataset, if you want the things that you are talking about to be independent of protocol, you call them the same thing, in this case entry.

Personally, I think the case is overwhelming that collection be dropped.  Makes more sense to call what is left a dataset than an entry, but obviously it is isomorphic to what is needed, so for a machine readable document I can hardly complain.

Benno

--
Dr. M. Benno Blumenthal          address@hidden
International Research Institute for climate prediction

--- End Message ---