[python #OCF-850030]: Hello?i have a question for Metpy 's calc on point and array

Hi, and thanks for reaching out!

Right now, most of MetPy's iterative vertical calculations (profile
calculations, layer depths, etc.) must be limited to use on 1-dimensional
profiles. Looping across large grids for these calculations can be done, but
can cost time or computation resources. An example:

    import xarray as xr
    from metpy.calc import dewpoint_from_relative_humidity, showalter_index
    from metpy.cbook import get_test_data
    from metpy.units import units

    ds = xr.open_dataset(get_test_data("NAM_test.nc", False))

    ds["Dewpoint_isobaric"] = dewpoint_from_relative_humidity(
        ds["Temperature_isobaric"], ds["Relative_humidity_isobaric"])

    showalter_indices = []

    for x in ds.x:
        for y in ds.y:
            column = ds.sel(x=x, y=y)
            si = showalter_index(column["isobaric"],
                             column["Temperature_isobaric"].squeeze(),
                             column["Dewpoint_isobaric"].squeeze())

            da = xr.DataArray(si, dims=["time"], coords={"time": column.time,
"y": column.y, "x": column.x})
            da = da.expand_dims(["y", "x"])

            showalter_indices.append(da)

    xr.combine_by_coords(showalter_indices)

And there are some tools in xarray like `apply_ufunc` and `map_blocks` that can
somewhat parallelize this for you with dask
(https://docs.xarray.dev/en/stable/user-guide/dask.html#automatic-parallelization-with-apply-ufunc-and-map-blocks).
 I may be able to throw together some example code for this in the future. As
part of funded NSF grant work, we have high priority efforts to speed up our
profile calculations and explore making more of our calculation suite
grid-friendly. In the mean time, I hope this helps! Let me know if I can
provide any further help.

All the best,

Drew

> I appreciate using this package.
> Now, i have a question when I use this package to calculate the
> showalter index, I found that I could only count single points. But I want
> to calculate the array, it seems that this package does not support, is
> there a good way. I wish I could get a little help

Ticket ID: OCF-850030
Department: Support Python