[python #JDP-816316]: Pseudo-adiabatic parameters with ice processes

Hello, and thanks for reaching out!

MetPy's parcel calculations depend on
`moist_lapse`(https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/api/generated/metpy.calc.moist_lapse.html),
 which uses a saturated pseudoadiabatic process (aka "moist adiabat"),
described in Section 1b of Bakshaii and Stull 2013
(https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/apme/52/1/jamc-d-12-062.1.xml).
Similarly, calculations of stability and moisture quantities rely on saturation
vapor pressure
(https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/api/generated/metpy.calc.saturation_vapor_pressure.html)
 assumptions to be over water.

These functions don't currently support specifying different processes or
assumptions. There are ongoing discussions on GitHub about enabling alternative
calculations, processes, and thermodynamic assumptions:

  https://github.com/Unidata/MetPy/issues/434
  https://github.com/Unidata/MetPy/issues/461
  https://github.com/Unidata/MetPy/issues/142

There have been movements on these issues recently, including adopting the
usage of virtual temperature in CAPE/CIN calculations. We welcome community
input and contributions here! I hope this helps, and please do follow up if we
can answer any additional questions.

All the best,

Drew

> I'm looking to gain some clarity on the adiabatic processes used in the
> following Metpy functions:
>
> 1. metpy.calc.parcel_profile
> 2. metpy.calc.cape_cin
> 3. metpy.calc.most_unstable_parcel
> 4. metpy.calc.most_unstable_cape_cin
>
> Is the default process pseudo-adiabatic with liquid only, reversible with
> liquid only, pseudo-adiabatic with ice, or reversible with ice for those 4
> functions? Do these functions have the capacity to specify which adiabatic
> process to use?
>
> I've looked through some of the online documentation but haven't found
> explicit mention of adiabatic process information (however, if I missed
> this, please point me in the right direction!).

Ticket ID: JDP-816316
Department: Support Python