[python #IAR-319341]: Python plotting of colorbar for GOES-16 IR Sat imagery

Hello! Thanks for reaching out.

MetPy provides a collection of some colormaps for you to use in your work. You
can see the available colormaps at
https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/api/generated/metpy.plots.ctables.html
and an example for how to access them using `metpy.plots.ctables.colortables`
at
https://unidata.github.io/python-training/workshop/Satellite_Data/plotting-satellite-data/

We don't currently provide the exact colormap you're looking for, but we do
have some similar. You may have to look to create it yourself by hand, or you
could look into using another project like satpy/trollimage to construct a
colormap using temperature values and multiple separate colormaps. They have an
example of creating a grey+spectral colormap at
https://trollimage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/colormap.html

Hope this points you in the right direction! Don't hesitate to get back to us
if there's more we can do to help here. Thanks.

All the best,

Drew

> I had a question about MetPy.  When obtaining GOES-16 IR (Channel 13) Cloud
> imagery, which is brightness temperature, is there a script that helps in
> mimicking the colorbar used by NOAA/NESDIS?

Ticket ID: IAR-319341
Department: Support Python