[netCDF #OXH-919908]: Possible ncdump problem on Mac OS

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the delay responding.  I believe the root cause of the error you're
seeing is similar to another issue we've observed on OSX only.  I believe that
a historic workaround for accessing protected memory (that works everywhere
except OSX) is causing an issue.  I have a potential fix in a branch on github,
and it seems to address the issue you've reported as well, but I need to do
some more comprehensive testing before I say *for certain* we have fixed the
issue.

Let me take a more comprehensive look at this, and then I'll follow up and
possible get a 4.7.3 release out.

Thanks!

-Ward

> Netcdf support,
>
> I have two netcdf-4 files, about 50 Mb each, that cause random crash
> behavior in recent versions of ncdump, on Mac OS only.  The same two files
> are read without problems on our Linux systems.  I tested with different
> builds of ncdump 3.6.3 and 3.7.0 on Mac OS.  I think HDF5 1.10.5 is used in
> both cases.  I did not have a chance to try 3.7.1.  You can download one of
> the offending files here:
>
> ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Datasets/noaa.ersst.v5/sst.mnmean.nc
>
> The problem may be related to printing of the variable time_bnds, which is
> all default fill values in this file.  Please see the attached log file for
> examples of this flaky behavior.
>
> When I regenerate this file with a simple ncdump/ncgen sequence, the
> problem disappears.  Ncdump -hs looks fine, and I am not otherwise aware of
> anything fundamentally wrong with these files.  It is tempting to replace
> the offending files with regenerated versions, and forget about the
> problem.  However it would be better for ncdump to fail gracefully if there
> is really something wrong with these files.
>
> Do you have a Mac test system, and can you try ncdump -v time_bnds on this
> file?  Is this problem worth investigating for the sake of a more robust
> ncdump?  Thanks for your consideration.

Ticket ID: OXH-919908
Department: Support netCDF