[netCDF #VZL-904142]: NETCDF nc_open erroring out for an OPenDAP url in netCDF-C version 4.3.3.1 and 4.6.1

The basic problem is that this url:
"https://thredds.met.no/thredds/fileServer/meps25epsarchive/2018/06/11/meps_sfx_2_5km_20180611T15Z.nc";
is not a legal opendap url.
When the netcdf-c library is given a path that looks like a url, and in
the absence of other information, will interpret the URL as an opendap
request. However the above URL is not an opendap request: it is a fileserver
request. The other URL you gave:
"http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/testdata/mbiddle/veg_test_his_compressed.nc";
is a legal opendap url (because of the /dodsC/).
This is why you are seeing the error.
If you want to access the first url as opendap, you will need to figure
out what the correct opendap url looks like. The best way to do this
is to find the thredds catalog entry for the file and see if the
proper opendap url is listed on that page.

> I am a developer at MathWorks who works on netcdf functionality.  We came
> across an error in the NETCDF library when trying to use "nc_open"
> function with an OPenDAP server:
>
> The NetCDF library encountered an error during execution of 'open'
> function= - 'file not found (-90)'.
>
> I have attached a standalone file that reproduces the issue. I can use the
> same link to download the file on my system and read it successfully. Does
> it have to do anything with the size of the file?
>
> If I change the URL to
>
> http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/testdata/mbiddle/veg_test_his_compressed.nc
>
> then the function works as expected.
>
> Please note that we are using netCDF-C version 4.3.3.1 but I was able
> to reproduce it in 4.6.1 as well.
>
> Can you please confirm if this is a bug in the library or if I am
> approaching the code in an unexpected way?
>
> Please let me know if you need any additional information from my end.
> Looking forward to your reply.
>
> Thanks,
> Nalini Vishnoi

=Dennis Heimbigner