[netCDF #IWG-181444]: Unable to install netcdf-fortran (4.4.4)

Thank you for reporting the dead links! Those will definitely be fixed.

First, the instructions you need may be found here:

* http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/building_netcdf_fortran.html

You are working with the 'developer snapshot' version of netCDF-Fortran, hence
the '.am' and '.in' files.  You would use these to generate the `configure`
script as follows, from the command line:

    $ autoreconf -if

If you want to work with the latest release, you would either download version
4.4.4 from https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-fortran/releases, or from the
directory you've already cloned, run 'checkout v4.4.4'.

Before building netCDF-Fortran, you will need to install netCDF-C, as the
Fortran library is just an API layer to the C library.  You can download the
latest release of this from https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-c/releases.

I hope this information helps, thanks again for pointing out the bad
information in the netcdf-fortran README! I'll get that corrected ASAP.

Let me know if I can provide any further help, have a great day!

-Ward

> Hello,
>
> I recently downloaded the netcdf-fortran-master package from Github (
> https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-fortran). I am, however, unable to figure
> out how to install it on a Mac running OS 10.11.2. In the README.md file I
> am directed to the file 'INSTALL' in the distribution, which does not exist
> (?), and to a website (
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html) which
> also does not exist. I am somewhat used to using Makefiles, but am confused
> that the Makefiles provided have the extensions '.am' and '.in', and
> standard techniques (i.e. 'make') give errors. I am sure there is an easy
> way to do this, but it is not clear to someone with little experience.
>
> Best,
> Zach Erickson

Ticket ID: IWG-181444
Department: Support netCDF