[netCDF #DOW-293583]: Getting a netCDF-4 File to XML

Hi Paul,

> is there any easy possibility to get a netCDF-4 file converted into a xml?
> I`m asking that, because I`m a poor system-administrator, who should solve
> that riddle:
>
> - [ncdump -k] tells me, that I have a netCDF-4 File [I suppose it`s format
> variant 3, according to [man ncdump]
> - [man ncdump] also tells me, that the parameter -x only works on "CDF
> classic model data"
>
> Please can you tell me, how to get my data from netCDF to XML - I`ve been
> searching for many hours and I don`t get it and I can`t believe, that
> nobody wanted to do this before!

First, I assume by xml you mean NcML, which uses XML syntax to represent
netCDF metadata and data.

I think the Java NCdumpW utility is intended to do just what you want,
using the "-ncml" option.  You can find it in the latest
netcdfAll-4.5.jar from

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/netcdf-java-4/

According to the documentation, you can use it like this:

  java -Xmx1g -classpath netcdfAll-4.5.jar ucar.nc2.NCdumpW filepath -ncml [-c
| -vall]

as documented here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/netcdf-java/reference/manPages.html

However, I haven't tested this, so if you have any problems with it,
it would be good to send questions to address@hidden

One reason the netCDF-C ncdump utility doesn't support NcML output yet
for netCDF-4 is that there are still some issues for how to represent
user-defined data types in NcML.  Another reason is low priority,
because we haven't very many user requests for this capability yet.

I'm forwarding your question to netcdf-java support in case there's
more information on if and when NCdumpW can be used for netCDF-4 to
NcML ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: DOW-293583
Department: Support netCDF