[netCDF #XKQ-165601]: netcdf-fortran | failed make check

Giordano,

> Thanks for the quick reply. Following your advice
>
> $ sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib make check &> out-06-makeCheck.txt
>
> all tests are passed. However I had added the /usr/local/lib to
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that
>
> $ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /usr/local/lib:/opt/petsc-3.4.0-gcc-4.6.2/lib:
>
> and after:
>
> $ sudo make check &> out-05-makeCheck.txt
>
> this would still lead to 4 fails (I expected it didn't).
>
> The stdout+stderr reports are enclosed. Is there a way to rely on the
> binding of the environmental variable?

Not if you use sudo and expect it to be inherited.

Here's from the netCDF-Fortran install instructions (I'm not
sure why this isn't also included in the netCDF-C install
instructions, as it's true for building any software that
depends on another installed library):

  If you set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH) environment
  variable in the previous step, don't use the "sudo" command before
  the following "configure" or "make check" commands. Using "sudo"
  causes the LD_* environment variables to be ignored, as a security
  precaution. You can use "sudo make install" as the last step, but
  you shouldn't need to use "sudo" before that.

--Russ

> On 26/09/14 18:42, Unidata netCDF Support wrote:
> > Hello Giordano,
> >
> > It appears that netcdf-fortran is unable to find libnetcdf at runtime.
> > Assuming libnetcdf is installed in /usr/local/lib, you might try to run
> > 'make check' as follows:
> >
> > $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib make check
> >
> > Let me know if this works (or doesn't),
> >
> > -Ward
> >
> >> Dear Support,
> >>
> >> I write you on suggestion of the make check report file. Apparently 4 of
> >> 5 tests failed owing to some library files that cannot be opened.
> >>
> >> For your inspection I have enclosed the files containing the stdout and
> >> stderr for the sequence configure, make, make install, make check. FYI
> >> /home/giordano/Downloads/programmi/netcdf-fortran-4.2 is the build
> >> directory while /usr/local/ is the install directory
> >>
> >> I use Linux Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, my OS is 32-bit. Additional information
> >> available (as retrievable) upon request.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for guidance and helping me out.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Giordano Lipari
> >>

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: XKQ-165601