[Support #DEQ-976256]: Building NetCDF with MPI and RAMS60 with GNU compilers

Hi Stephan,

Sorry to have taken so long to respond to your posting.

> At the request of two researchers I was asked to build MPI enabled RAMS60
> (www.atmet.com) that uses hdf5, netcdf and ncarg libraries etc.
>
> The base build instructions used were those for the NCARG Graphics v5.1.1
>
> After several attempts I have been able to build RAMS60. There were two
> major hurdles one in NetCDF and the other in RAMS60 and they relate to the
> gcc & gfortran the version which is 4.3.3.
>
> The build of NetCDF has various emails etc to use a defined macro
> -Df2cFortran in the CPPFLAGS for the GNU compilers and flags -ff2c for the
> fortran compilers. To work and pass all tests it MUST be -DpgiFortran and
> the -ff2c option is not to be used.
>
> I suspect this is due to the much improved Fortran90 GNU compiler as in
> building RAMS60 some external functions are now internal gfortran.
>
> RAMS had a similar problem in that it recommended a -DRAMS_MPI macro but
> the build worked by changing the compiler from gfortran to mpif90 and gcc
> to mpicc and ignoring the -DRAMS_MPI macro.
>
> I could supply all the build scripts if you think it necessary.

Thanks very much for this information.  I will store your posting in our
searchable
collection of netCDF support responses so that future users of RAMS60 can easily
find it via Google or other search engines.

--Russ

Ticket ID: DEQ-976256
Department: Support netCDF