[netCDF #HEA-479486]: building netCDF with PGI 10.x - one more link

Hi Crystal.

Sorry to have taken so long to respond to your support posting.
I'll put your notes on making with PGI 10.2 in our support postings
archive, so that others may find them, so thanks for sending the
notes.

By they way, I noticed that PGI created a new web page with tips and
techniques for building netCDF with the PGI 2010 compilers, and I've
replaced our Portland Group compilers link to point to this:

  http://www.pgroup.com/resources/netcdf/netcdf40_pgi2010.htm

It notes  an edit needed to the configure file and also notes how to
create a siterc file for the PGI 10.x compilers to workaround a problem
they have with the -bind_at_load option that the netCDF configure script
uses.

--Russ

> Sorry, I just realized that in my previous message I left off one key link
> for the patch detailing the dot for lower versions:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg04958.html
>
> (Also, the configure and configure.ac files are, of course, in
> netcdf-4.0.1/, not netcdf-4.0.1/m4)

> Just finished struggling with building netCDF with PGI version 10.2
> compiler.  Just wanted others attempting to do the same to know how I
> finally managed to get it to built.  Unchanged, the configure file
> distributed for netcdf-4.0.1 will NOT work.
>
> Using the files distributed with netcdf-4.0.1, running "make" will produce
> the following error:
>
> libtool: link:  /opt/pgi/linux86-64/10.2/bin/pgCC --prelink_objects
> --instantiation_dir Template.dir   netcdf.o ncvalues.o
> pgCC-Error-Unknown switch: --instantiation_dir
>
> This is apparently related to problems to version 10.x being read in as
> version 1.0, and possibly also because new pgfortran is not recognized.  To
> get netCDF to build, I followed the patches described in
> https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/changeset/22274 (follow libtool patch
> links and see configure file change).  This link is specifically for
> openmpi, and not netCDF, but I made analogous changes.
>
> Specifically, I added a dot for lower versions and "pgfortran" (where ever
> "pgf95 appeared) in the following files:
>
> netcdf-4.0.1/m4/libtool.m4
> netcdf-4.0.1/m4/configure
> netcdf-4.0.1/m4/configure.ac
>
> I also found and changed fortran.m4 (not part of netCDF release).
>
> Not exactly sure what combination of those changes actually fixed it, but
> for sure you need to change netcdf-4.0.1/configure.
>
> Perhaps later releases of netCDF will incorporate the necessary changes to
> compile with higher version PGI?

Ticket ID: HEA-479486
Department: Support netCDF