Re: 950224: netCDF Problems

Hi,

> Well, I have already applied the patches as you suggested, and reconfigured
> the netcdf library. Everything seems to work after doing "make all test" in
> the netcdf directory, but doing the same in the c++ directory brings the
> following bug:

> iaipromise3[/usr/local/netcdf-232pl2/c++]# make all test
>       CC -c -g -I../libsrc  netcdf.cc
>               CC -c -g -I../libsrc  ncvalues.cc
>                       ar rcuv libnetcdf_c++.a netcdf.o ncvalues.o
>                       a - netcdf.o
>                       a - ncvalues.o
>                       s - creating archive symbol table. Wait...
>                       s - done
>                               # If ranlib isn't found, that's OK
>                               #: Command not found.
>                               *** Error code 1 (bu21)
>
>                               make: fatal error.
>
> I have also checked the Makefile in the directory c++ and it is EXACTLY the
> same with the MAkefile that you have sent in your email...
>
> Could you please help us further?

I'm not sure what hardware/operating-system/C++ compiler you are trying to
build this on, but it looks like your "make" has a bug, because it doesn't
recognize the standard use of "-" in a Makefile preceding a command to
ignore a bad status returned by invoking that command, as in

    $(LIB_A):      $(LIB_OBJS)
            $(AR) rcuv $@ $(LIB_OBJS)
            # If ranlib isn't found, that's OK
            -ranlib $@

To get around this problem, just delete the line containing ranlib and run
"make all test" again.

Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/                          Boulder, CO 80307-3000