[McIDAS #ITE-161076]: Plotting satellite derived winds in McIDAS

Hi Carol,

re:
> Hum, ok well that sounds very complicated. I think you have more faith in
> my mcidas abilities than you should :)

I do have faith in your McIDAS abilities :-)

re:
> Could I at least plot the wind barbs from the surface stations via what's
> coming through on NOAAPORT?

Absolutely.

re:
> I could use PTDISP I assume. Is that a common
> thing that people do? Sorry, clearly I'm not too familiar with this.

For surface data, you would use SFCPLOT, for upper air data, you would
use RAOBPLOT.  The dataset that you would most likely use for surface
data is RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY, and the dataset you would use for upper
air data (on mandatory levels) is RTPTSRC/UPPERMAND.

Try the following to get familiar with plotting surface winds:

DATALOC ADD RTPTSRC atm.ucar.edu
SF 1
ERASE F
SFCPLOT WINDB NACONF

Then, overlay surface wind barbs over a GOES-16 CONUS thermal IR
image:

SF 1
ERASE F
IMGDISP RTGOESR/CONUSC13 LAT=30 87 MAG=-2;MAP
SFCPLOT WINDB OLAY

Check out the various options for SFCPLOT and RAOBPLOT using the
built in HELP:

HELP SFCPLOT
HELP RAOBPLOT

The corresponding routines for contouring data are:

SFCCON
RAOBCON

Ticket ID: ITE-161076
Department: Support McIDAS