[McIDAS #ITE-161076]: Plotting satellite derived winds in McIDAS

Hi Carol,

re:
> We got a request to plot winds with our satellite imagery. Would you
> suggest plotting the winds from the GOES L2 product - Derived Motion Winds?

Neither SSEC nor I added the a specific capability to McIDAS to handle the
POINT type of data in the Derived Motion Winds L2 product.  Since the L2
Derived Motion Winds are in netCDF4 files, there is a "chance" (slight?)
that you could setup an ADDE dataset and list and plot the data using
the generic PTLIST and PTDISP commands.

To get your investigation going, I suggest that you review the HELP for
DSSERVE and maybe even to look at the beginning of the netCDF decoder source
file ncdfks.cp.  As far as the .cfg file that will need to be created,
you can check to see what one of these looks like by listing out the
contents of ~mcidas/data/netcdfpoint.cfg.

I'll be very interested in what you learn as I have not tried to access
those data myself!

Ticket ID: ITE-161076
Department: Support McIDAS