[McIDAS #UGD-896576]: IMGREMAP of GOES-16 for use in GEMPAK

Hi Robert,

re:
> My scripts remapping the GOES-16 IR imagery to a mercator projection for use
> in GEMPAK
> is working fine. However I noticed that NMAP2 only displays brightness and not
> temperature in the scale that is loaded with the image.

Hmm...  Have you tried displaying any of the Unidata-Wisconsin images (IDD
feed type UNIWISC aka MCIDAS) in GEMPAK?  If yes, do you see temperatures
for the IR images?

Note:

If you are not getting an IDD feed of UNIWISC images, you can grab some for
testing from:

http://atm.ucar.edu

  Decoded ldm data archives
  http://atm.ucar.edu/decoded/

    gempak/
    http://atm.ucar.edu/decoded/gempak/

      areas/
      http://atm.ucar.edu/decoded/gempak/areas/

All images are in PNG-compressed AREA format.  PNG-compressed AREAs are
usable in Unidata McIDAS-X, Unidata GEMPAK, the IDV and McIDAS-V.

re:
> I am doing just a basic remap:
>
> imgremap.k RTGOESR/CONUSC13 TEMP/IMAGES.1 RES=2 PRO=MERC SIZE=ALL
>
> When I create a web image I use SU=IRTEMP and then use an enhancement and bar
> and it
> produces an image with cloud top temps:
> imgdisp.k RTGOESR/CONUSC13 STA=PSN MAG=2 SU=IRTEMP EU=NEWBL2;map.k X 7
> COUNTY=ALL;map.k X 7 FILE=OUTLHPOL;bar.k

Right.  McIDAS understands how to produce calibrated displays from the VISR
(1-byte) images that are created by IMGREMAP.

re:
> What do I need to do with McIDAS-X with the remap in order to get cloud top
> temps on
> the GEMPAK end?

I don't know.  Again, can you check one or more Unidata-Wisconsin IR
images to see if it/they work in GEMPAK?

re:
> With GOES-12 GER from NESDIS just a standard remap produced an AREA
> file that GEMPAK read as temperature not brightness.

The difference might be in the calibration type of VISR.

re:
> Of course this could be something on the GEMPAK end as well..

Yes, exactly.  Let's start by testing one or more Unidata-Wisconsin
images.

Ticket ID: UGD-896576
Department: Support McIDAS