[McIDAS #TVD-432524]: GLMDISP and GLMLIST

Hi Mike,

re:
> I understand that McIDAS-X v2017 should have at least some support for
> GOES-16 GLM data.

Correct.  I have not exercised this at all, so I can not offer much help
off of the top of my head...

re:
> Combing through the [SSEC] docs, I see the GLMDISP and
> GLMLIST programs should be able to do what I need.  I also see that there
> is some special instruction regarding adding a GLM data set with DSSERVE.
> But following these instructs as best as I understand I can't seem to get
> things to work.

Hmm... I setup GLM datasets according to what I read in the built-in
HELP for DSSERVE on both lead.unidata.ucar.edu and atm.ucar.edu.  I
did this in response to a request from a (power) McIDAS users, and I
have assumed that it worked since I have not heard anything back from
him.

re:
> I'm working with the GLM data coming over the former DIFAX feed from
> Unidata.  Following a pqact example from Unidata's site, I'm saving the
> files in the same naming convention they're coming across as, and what I
> would expect McIDAS would understand.  And I can verify these files can be
> read by other netCDF utilities.

OK.

re:
> Here's a DSSERVE ADD command I'm trying, though I've tried several other
> combinations as well:
> DSSERVE ADD GOES16/GLM-GROUP GLMN TYPE=POINT
> DIRFILE=/home/localdata/goes/glm/*.nc INFO='/home/mcidas/data/GLM_GROUP.CFG'

The names of the config files in the Unidata McIDAS distribution are:

GLM_GROUP.cfg
GLM_FLASH.cfg
GLM_EVENT.cfg

Your DSSERVE invocation specifies '.CFG', not '.cfg'.

re:
> I've tried time matching and location matching, but ultimately with both
> GLMDISP and GLMLIST, I can't seem to read any data.  Just about anything I
> try yields the following output:
> PTLIST: No data to read from server
> PTLIST: Unable to read data record from server
> PTLIST: failed, RC=1
>
> (or, nearly identical PTDISP errors when trying GLMDISP)
>
> Any chance you could shine some light on where I'm going wrong?

Perhaps the problem is as simple as changing the name(s) of the
GLM configuration files to use lower case suffixes...

re:
> Thanks for your help,

No worries.

Ticket ID: TVD-432524