[McIDAS #UFO-365575]: McIDAS ADDE serving of your RAW GOES data

Hi Paul,

re:
> Hi, Tom - I put them on a different server, but I have 5 raw (I
> think) Quorum-generated GVR files here - directory is http://
> opie.met.fsu.edu/~realm/Gvar/ and the files are here (listing not
> permitted I think):
>
> CONUS_G8_06131823.gvr   CONUS_G8_06131900.gvr   CONUS_G8_06131923.gvr
> CONUS_G8_06131853.gvr   CONUS_G8_06131908.gvr

I grabbed them as soon as I saw your note.

Questions:

- I am not sure how to interpret the "date/time" part of the file name.
  Can you decipher:

  06131823
  06131853
  06131900
  06131908
  06131923

- My first quess would be that the '06' is the year (i.e., 2006).  The last
  4 digits looks like a time (HHMM). If these are both true, what is the
  '13'?

> Good luck - these are probably GOES 12 files even though the file
> naming convention has them as GOES 8.

OK.  I should be able to determine exactly which satellite the data files
represent from the header.

> They are from 2006 - I found
> out that the original GVAR files reside on the machine that is still
> down and I did not have time to swap out drives - but found a
> smattering of original GVAR files that should be a good test.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

> Thanks, again for thinking about this!

No worries.  If I can make this work correctly, it may open up a new resource
for the Unidata community: i.e., I will then lobby you to make the realtime data
available to the community via an ADDE server :-)

I will send more as I dive into the images...

Ticket ID: UFO-365575