[McIDAS #LCX-542933]: McIDAS Access

Hi Ashford,

re:
> My names is Ashford Reyes and I am a student studying weather forecasting
> at the Caribbean Institute for Meteorology and Hydrology which is an
> affiliate of the University of the West Indies.

It is good to meet you (if only electronically).

> I write to you asking you to consider granting me permission to access and
> download McIDAS so as to enable me to use the software at the school and
> to assist in my learning experience. I wish to utilize the software
> package at the school in a number of ways so as to get other students and
> myself involved in many projects and the use of McIDAS.

This sounds like a very good use of McIDAS!

In order to allow non-'.edu' users (users whose email addresses do not end
in '.edu') have access to our distribution of McIDAS-X, we are required by
SSEC, the owners/developers of McIDAS, to have those users agree to the
following:

  SSEC considers permissible users of the international university community
  to be those who are using McIDAS-X for academic classroom instruction or
  academic research by students related to obtaining a degree. Research
institutes
  and government agencies that use McIDAS-X for meteorological research or
  operations must purchase a license from SSEC for the non-academic use. Given
  this clarification, and if Unidata users remain within the licensing terms
  that include no re-distribution of any portion of the software, SSEC is
agreeable
  to providing this software to the international university Unidata user
community.

So, we need a clear statement from you that specifies all of the following:

- you are accessing McIDAS from Unidata for use in a university
- McIDAS must be used for academic classroom instruction or academic research
  by students related to obtaining a degree
- your installation of McIDAS is not for use by a government agency,
non-academic
  research institute, or private concern
- you agree that you will not re-distribute any portion of the software

> I thank you in advance for you consideration and I do look forward to a
> favourable response from you that would assist me and my fellow colleagues
> in promoting and understanding the science of Meteorology through the use
> of the McIDAS software package.

As soon as you state that your use of Unidata McIDAS will conform to the items
above, we will add your address@hidden email address to the list that allows
downloading of Unidata McIDAS.

I apologize for the hassle in granting you access to Unidata McIDAS!

Ticket ID: LCX-542933