20051130: MciDAS-X 2005...new and improved with GCC 4.02-8?

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Hi Gilbert,

re: my comment about not finishing v2005 installation
>No problem! Glad you waited.

Well, I was awake last night, so I finished the new McIDAS distribution
and built it on weather, weather2, and weather3.  I finished the
installation on weather and weather2 but not on weather3.  I rebuilt
the v2005 distributions from scratch:

<as 'mcidas'>

cd ~mcidas/mcidas2005/update

ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> password protected user name
  <pass> password for protected account
  cd unix/2005/bugfix
  binary
  prompt
  mget mcupdate*
  quit

./mcupdate

cd ../src
make clobber
make all
make install.all

su - ldm
ldmadmin restart
exit

One of the files that got updated in the addendum was ADDEIMAGE.CORE.
On weather you had modified this file to add load definitions for the
NASADATA dataset.  Before the upgrade (actually the last time I was on
weather), I copied your modified version of ADDEIMAGE.CORE to the
~mcidas/workdata directory (so your modifications would not be lost).
Since one of the modifications I made to ADDEIMAGE.CORE was the
addition of the publically accessible PUB dataset from SATEPS ADDE
server, and since this is imagery data that you _will_ want to be
accessing (trust me, the server has GOES-East/West, METEOSAT-7, and
MTSAT imagery), you should now do the following:

<on weather as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/workdata
mv ADDEIMAGE.CORE ADDEIMAGE.CORE.NIU
cp ~/data/ADDEIMAGE.CORE .
-- merge your settings for NASADATA into the this file

I need to do some work on the MCGUI that will better handle site
definitions like the one you have made.  This will need to wait for the
next addendum, however.

re: new McIDAS release
>Great! Thanks. Looking forward to it. I'll see if there is an "ar" patch
>coming out....

The problem you are seeing with 'ar' is appearing in all of the latest
Linux and FreeBSD distributions I have seen (e.g., SuSE, Slackware,
Mandriva; FreeBSD 5.4).  I am assuming that it is a fundamental bug in
the open source for 'ar'.  The interesting thing is that slow(er)
machines running the new versions of Linux do not exhibit the problem.
Anyway, the builds on weather, weather[23] went without a hiccup.  I
have also verified that my "fix" (hack/workaround) works well on
FreeBSD 5.4.

When is the best time to install v2005 on weather3 (again, it is
already built)?  The installation requires updating of files in the
directory that McIDAS-XCD and ldm-mcidas decoders write to, so it is
best if the LDM is not running.  The installation process takes
anywhere from 10 minites to a half hour depending on what I find.

One last thing.  Do you now have your Gbps I2 connection?  I noticed
that the downloads for the McIDAS distribution were much faster than
the last time I tried, but were still not screamingly fast (300 KB/s
which is about the same as I get at home!).

(NOTE: I put the new version of the full distribution in the ~mcidas
directory on weather3 and deleted the old v2005 distributions from
weather/weather2).