20020320: IMGPROBE not able to list out METEOSAT IR temperatures (cont.)

>From: Edward Hindman <address@hidden>

Ward,

>Thanks for looking into this matter so promptly.  We need to make some
>MetSat IR temp measurements for a paper due to the AMS by next Friday.  I
>goofed by not getting involved in this problem earlier; I left it up to
>my undergraduate student Kamal who did her best.

No worries.  I'm sorry that things couldn't happen quicker.

>If there's anything we can do to help on this end, please let me know.

Mike Schmidt, our system adminstrator, and I were poking around on
cirrus to see if we could understand what the heck is going on.
Mike's comment was that we _really_ need to load operating system
patches; setup the secure shell; and disable known security holes
like telnet.  Since this kind of work will require a bunch of
changes, and since the machine would need to be rebooted after
the patches are applied, and since you would need to change your
web pages to not tell students how to telnet in, and since you should
not put the password for the account they will be using on a web
page, it was obvious that the mods might be too disruptive in the
short time frame.

With more chatting, Mike told me that executables built on RedHat 7.1
systems would probably run on your RedHat 7.0 system; I had thought
that they wouldn't.  Given this, I FTPed the IMGPROBE executable
(imgprobe.k) from one of our Linux systems to cirrus and tried it out.
As wxnut on cirrus, I was able to load a METEOSAT-5 image; put maps
on it; AND correctly interrogate it for temperature.  So, you should
now be back in operation (at least until you find the next routine
that needs updating)!

Ok, given that you/Kamal should now be able to do the temperature
interrogations, we can take a breather on upgrading the OS on cirrus.
We really need, however, to get at the OS patches as soon as is
possible.

Talk to you later...

Tom