20020325: creating custom 1 km FL sector

>From:  Chris Herbster <address@hidden>

Chris,

>At the AMS meeting you suggested it would be pretty straight-forward to
>extract a 1 km sector out of the Unidata ADDE server images for our
>site.

Yes, this is very easily done using McIDAS.

>Could you help me with that too?  As we get into the warm season
>we'd love to have regular 1 km images over us!

Try the following:

1) login to an account for which you have setup McIDAS

2) start a McIDAS-X session with frame sizes that match the display
   you want to generate (the default size in McIDAS is 480x640 which
   is way to small for my tastes):

   mcidas config

   o change the number of image LINes.  I suggest 600 to start with.
   o change the number of image ELEments.  I suggest 800 to start with.
   o select that you want the MCGUI to auto start
   o select the radiobutton that says to use compressed data transfers
   o select the radiobutton that says that you want to save configuration
     values to the defaults file (~/.mcidasrc)
   o click on the START button

3) once the McIDAS session is up with the MCGUI, click on the ADDE
   Client Routing Config button.  This is the button with the two
   CRTs that are oriented one on top of the other with arrows pointing
   from one to the other (just to the right of the Z (zoom) button)

4) click on the IMAGE tab of the tabbed notebook

5) click on the down arrow on the right hand side of the entry for the
   GINIEAST dataset (GINIEAST are the NOAAPORT images in GINI format
   from GOES East)

6) choose one of the servers in the list to load your images from.  I
   suggest starting with either cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu, pscwx.plymouth.edu,
   or atm.geo.nsf.gov.

7) click the Update and Exit button to make your selection active

8) click on the Display dropdown at the top of the MCGUI

9) click on the Imagery action in the dropdown list of Display

10) select GINIEAST as the image dataset you want to look at

11) if GE1KVIS is not the dataset image type displayed in the Image
   type to load button, click on the button and select GE1KVIS

12) click on the Custom radiobutton

13) set your Center (ID, or LAT LON) to KDAB (Daytona Beach) (or to the
    LAT LON you want as the center of your sector)

14) set your LIN blowdown/blowup factor to 1.  Changing the LIN magnification
    factor automatically sets the ELEment one to the same value.  Leave
    both LIN and ELE blowdown/blowup factors on 1

15) click on the Display button

Now, if your system is on the network and if McIDAS is installed
correctly, you will go out to the ADDE server you selected in step 6)
and load the latest (most current) GE1KVIS image in the frame.  Try
playing with the magnification factors to see the effect.

After you have successively loaded the sector you desire, Close the
GINIEAST Image Loads widget.  To see the McIDAS command(s) that were
run for you, click on the button with the keyboard icon (the one to the
left of the Z button).  This opens up the McIDAS-X GUI Console in which
one can enter commands by hand and see and recall and reexecute commands
that were run by the MCGUI.

Part two of this answer should wait until you get the hang of selecting
ADDE dataset servers and displaying data from the MCGUI.  Presumably,
you may want to generate sectors and then store the files locally
for use either in McIDAS or GEMPAK.  If so, please let me know and
I can walk you through that process.

BTW, I should be able to get to your setup on supercell tomorrow.