20000918: McIDAS-XCD decoding and McIDAS updates at UNL (cont.)

>From: Clint Rowe <address@hidden>

Clint,

re: who deleted xcd_run entries in pqact.conf

>Oops!  That would (of course) be me.

Thought so ;-)

>However, I must have done that when
>I started decoding the LNG compressed images

Wow, where are you getting LNG compressed images :o) (UW stream are PNG)

>-- way back in late June or early
>July -- and nobody told me we weren't getting data all summer!  Thanks for
>setting things straight.

OK, one thing I ran into was the lack of disk space on your machine.  Since
it was obvious that McIDAS GRID decoding was going to run you out of space,
I disabled it:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
decinfo.k SET DMGRID INACTIVE

>I still can't start mcidas as mcidas, though (see
>below).

I will scope this out later today.

>Mark also sends his thanks, since he now is looking at the data in
>synoptic class.

OK.

>You can give him a hard time about not looking at any data al
>summer next time he stops at Unidata.

Yes, but how often is that!?

re incorrect/future times on XCD ingested/decoded data files

>I noticed this, too. I think this has to do with NFS mounted disks and clock
>syncronization. The clock on chinook (data ingest) was a couple minutes behind
>the clock on zephyr (data storage and server), so when zephyr puts a timestamp
>on the file, that time will be in the future for chinook. See below:
>
>zephyr% ls -ltr *XCD
>-rw-rw-r--   1 ldm      apps     284929520 Sep 17 19:02 DD002610.XCD
>-rw-rw-r--   1 ldm      apps     190283776 Sep 18 11:49 DD002620.XCD
>zephyr% date
>Mon Sep 18 11:50:32 CDT 2000
>

>/apps/ldm% ls -ltr /data/mcidasd/*XCD
>-rw-rw-r--   1 ldm      apps     284929520 Sep 17 19:02 DD002610.XCD
>-rw-rw-r--   1 ldm      apps     190416640 Sep 18  2000 DD002620.XCD
>/apps/ldm% date
>Mon Sep 18 11:48:22 CDT 2000
>
>If I sync the clock on chinook to that on zephyr, the problem disappears
># rdate zephyr.
>
>Mon Sep 18 11:55:33 2000
># ls -ltr /data/mcidasd/*XCD
>-rw-rw-r--   1 ldm      apps     284929520 Sep 17 19:02 DD002610.XCD
>-rw-rw-r--   1 ldm      apps     192741376 Sep 18 11:55 DD002620.XCD
>#

Makes sense.

>I don't plan on fixing this, since I hope to get our new server up and
>running this month.

OK, I just wanted to make sure that you were aware of the discrepency.

>I did the mcscour.sh as mcidas on zephyr, since that's where the data are
>physically located.

OK.  You will want to look at this setup:

o possibly remove the scouring from 'ldm's chinook account
o revisit the setup in ~mcidas/workdata/mcscour.sh  (McIDAS environment
  variables potentially have to be (re)setup)
o in the future, it may be best to scour the data files from the machine
  that is running the LDM and let 'ldm' do it

>You didn't see it when you were on chinook, since the
>crontabs are set up on a machine-by-machine basis.  I'll remove it from
>ldm's on chinook, so I'm not trying to do it twice.

OK.

re: Harry's noticing that the images were missing
>Is his inquiry in the e-mail archives for posterity?

Yes, and so are Dave Dempsey's now (he checked in this morning).