20000918: McIDAS-XCD decoding and McIDAS updates at UNL (cont.)

>From: Clint Rowe <address@hidden>

Clint,

>I still can't start mcidas as mcidas, though (see below).

The problem in starting the MCGUI was the REDIRECTion in effect in the
'mcidas' account for the file UNIMENU.DEF.  The REDIRECTion specified
that the file had to exist in the ~mcidas/workdata directory, and it
wasn't there.  The fix was to remove the REDIRECTion:

cd ~mcidas/workdata
redirect.k DEL UNIMENU.DEF

since the MCGUI had been modified to search for UNIMENU.DEF in MCPATH.

By the way, when I got onto chinook, I noticed that there was no McIDAS
point source data for yesterday (it is now just after 0Z) or today.
This was due to the XCD decoders not being run.  I checked to make sure
that the xcd_run entries in pqact.conf were still there, and they
were.  It looks like something killed the XCD supervisory routine,
startxcd.k.  Without startxcd.k running, the decoders will never be
restarted when they exit, and the exit periodically (on purpose).  You
may want to look into this situation more if it starts to intefere with
Mark's course(s).

Later...

Tom